This dish is a complete meal in itself. It comprises of dal – a rich source of protein and rice in it adds to carbs, overall its a meal which can be stand alone dish which can serve the purpose of providing energy and nutrition by all means. We should opt for brown rice which retains its fiber, instead of our polished white rice. With tempering we are adding good fat, fibers and garlic, that helps in digestion of protein and lowers the cholesterol levels, so keeps the heart healthy.
Cooking time: 10 mins
Preparation time: 10 mins
Tuvar dal (arhar): 1 cup
Rice: 1 cup
Water: 6 cups
Salt: 2 tsp
Garlic: 5-6 cloves finely chopped
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Green chillies: 2 – finely chopped
Curry leaves: 4-5
Asafoetida: 1 pinch
To garnish: fresh coriander.
- Soak the dal and rice in the water for 10-12 mins.
- Then pressure cook the dal and rice with adding turmeric powder and salt to it. Cook up to 3 whistles and then on slow flame for next 5 mins.
- When the khichdi get cooked, add the tempering.
- Heat the oil in a vessel, then add the cumin seeds, when seed starts to crackle, add the chopped garlic, green chillies, curry leaves finally add asafoetida and pour the tempering over the khichdi.
- Garnish it with the fresh coriander leaves. And serve hot.
- Serve with plain/masala buttermilk/curd.
Energy: 176.2 cal
Variations: we can use yellow split lentils (yellow mung dal) instead of tuvar dal. And we can add vegetables like carrots, peas, potatoes, cabbage etc.