Like all the beans, black eyed peas or black eyed bean is also an excellent source of protein, along with that, it’s the good source of calcium, dietary fibers, and folate . Goodness of fiber staves off the hunger and helps weight management. Complex carbs of the bean assures the slow release of blood sugar hence help fight diabetes. Fibers of the bean help clean the intestine and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Preparation time: soaking for at least 4 hours
Black eyed peas: 1 cup
Tomatoes: chopped 1 cup
Oil : 1 tbs
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Garlic: 5-6 cloves (peeled and grounded)
Coriander: to garnish
- Soak the black eyed peas for atleast 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the excess water and boil the beans.
- Now heat the oil in pan, add the cumin seeds, when seeds starts to crackle, add tomatoes and freshly grounded garlic, then sauté for 3 to 4 minute or till tomatoes get tender.
- Now add chawli, turmeric powder, red chili powder, Garam masala and simmer for a minute, if the chawli turns dry, sprinkle some water and simmer.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with roti, parathas or rice.
Energy: 234 cal
Vitamin A: 1035 IU