This is the modified version of traditional high calorie coleslaw sandwich without compromising the taste. It makes a balanced meal with goodness of fresh vegetables and gives advantage of fibers since whole wheat or multigrain bread is used.
And this is the snack you can make very quickly. This way it is perfect for lunch box or breakfast menu.
Cooking time: Nil
Preparation time: 10 mins
Whole wheat or multi grain bread slice: 4
Cabbage: ½ cup shredded
Carrots: ½ cup shredded
Mixed herbs: 1 tsp
Lettuce leaves: 4
Cheese slice: 2
Thousand Island dressing: 1tbs
- Mix the cabbage, carrots, mixed herbs and thousand island sauce.
- Take two medium sized brown or multigrain bread slices, on one slice first put lettuce leaf, then the coleslaw mixture and cover it with cheese slice, lettuce leaf and the remaining bread slice.
- Prepare the other sandwich similarly.
- You can pack this and carry with you, the lettuce leaves will prevent the bread to get moist and adds crunchy taste. This sandwich retains its taste and texture for 5-6 hours easily.
- Thousand Island dressing is readily available in the market, but if you don’t want to use the traditional high calorie dressing. You can make it at home by replacing the mayonnaise with low fat hung curd.
- to make low cal thousand island dressing 1/2 cup thick low fat curds, 1 tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp sugar,3 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp chilli sauce, 2 tsp pickled onions, chopped 2 tsp pickled capsicum, 1/2 tsp chopped green chillies and
salt to taste. all the pickled items are easily available in market. or you can make it at home also. blend all the ingredients in mixer and add hung curds to it. that will make 1 1/2 cup low calorie thousand island dressing.
Nutritional value(Per Sandwich)
Energy: 145.5 cal
Carbs: 26.85 g
Protein: 6.11 g
Fat: 1.6 g