Thepla is one of the specialities of Gujarati cuisine, traditionally it is made up of wheat flour and for variation fenugreek leaves or bottle guard is added to it. as the name suggests here I have made it more nutritious by adding different flours like Ragi (Nachni- red millet), bajra (black millet), Jowar (white millet), Bengal gram flour henceforth improved iron content, calcium, protein and fibers.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Whole wheat flour: ½ cup
Red millet flour: ¼ cup
Black millet flour: ¼ cup
White millet flour: ¼ cup
Bengal gram flour: ¼ cup
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Chilly garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Curd: 1 tbsp
Oil: 2 tsp + roasting
Fresh coriander leaves: (finely chopped 1 tbsp)
- Mix all the flours and sieve them together.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly garlic paste, chopped coriander leaves, curd and oil.
- With little water, knead the dough, soft yet firm and leave aside for 5 mins.
- Now with rubbing little oil in palm, knead the dough again to make it softer.
- Divide the dough in 6-8 equal portions.
- Roll out thin thepla out of it and roast them on hot griddle applying oil on either side.
- Serve hot with tomato chutney or fresh mint chutney.
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 3.187 mg