Kadhi or curry has important place in the Guajarati cuisine generally it’s the part of main course in dinner. In some areas of Gujarat there is a fix menu for evening as Kadhi and khichdi. Kadhi is very light to digest, with ample amount of calcium and protein.
Gram flour : 2 tbsp
Curd: 1 cup
Jaggery: shredded 2 tbsp
Salt: 1 tbsp
Green chilly: 2
Ginger: 1” piece
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Bay leaf: 1
Curry leaves: 3-4
Cinnamon stick: 1 cm sized
Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Asaphoetida: 1 tsp
Dry red chilly: 1
Fresh coriander : to garnish
- Mix gram flour and curd properly and add 700 ml water to it, blend till smooth ensuring no lumps remain. Then add ginger chilly paste and curry leaves to it.
- To retain the consistency of the curry do not add salt or jiggery in to the curry till it starts to boil.
- Traditionally its made up by cooking in the deep vessel, but it cooks much faster in microwave.
- Take this mixture into microwave proof bowl or tray.
- Keep on microwave high for 5 mins stirring in between.
- Now add shredded jiggery and salt. Then again microwave high for 2 mins.
- Allow standing time for 1 min.
- Take out and transfer to serving bowl.
- Heat the oil in pan, add mustard seed & cumin seeds , when seeds starts to crackle, add fenugreek seeds /powder, dry red chilly, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and finally add asafoetida and pour on to the curry.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with khichdi or steamed rice.
Energy: 137 kcal
Carbs: 16.2 g