one of the ancient vegetable grown by man, bottle gourd is also known as ‘calabash’ or squash. It is having cooling properties, thus used as diuretics. squash is also having soothing properties so can be used freely for gastric problem patients too.
squash is very subtle in taste, so lets make it a lil bit spicy, here i’ve shown the vegetable from squash only, but potatoes can be added for variation.
preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 10 mins
Squash: 500 g
tomato: 1 med size
oil: 1 tbsp
salt: 1 tsp
asafoetida : 1 pinch
turmeric powder: 1 tsp
red chilly powder: 2 tsp
cumin coriander powder: 2 tsp
garlic: 3-4 cloves
fresh coriander leaves : for garnish
- chop the squash in 1″ sized cubes.
- chop 2 garlic cloves finely and pound the rest with the red chilly powder to form paste.
- chop tomatoes finely.
- take 1 tbsp oil in pressure cooker and heat, add mustard and cumin seeds.
- when seeds starts to crackle, add asafoetida and finely chopped garlic.
- saute the garlic and then add squash cubes. add salt , turmeric powder, cumin coriander seeds powder and pounded garlic paste. Mix well.
- add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles, then on very slow flame cook for 5 mins.
- off the heat and let the cooker cool down.
- garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Energy: 49.3 cal
Protein: 1.15 g