This bean has many names, in Europe you will find it as ‘runner beans’, in US its ‘string beans’ and French beans or green beans in India. this bright green crunchy French beans can help you a lot to lose fat, as its very low in calories yet very very much nutritious, just one cup(approx 125 g) can provide you 25% of daily requirement of vitamin K, approx 20% of vitamin c and manganize and 15% of vitamin A, potassium, dietary fiber, and folate. Vitamin k helps to maintain bone density, all the minerals helps you burn the food as fat and not turn into fat, and vitamin c boosts up immunity. It also contains lots of antioxidants which keeps us young and energetic. You can eat French beans raw, stir fried, or boiled. Lets see today the indianized version of it, to make a complete meal , I have added dumplings made from gram flour to it. This addition of protein will make this veg a complete meal in itself.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 -12 mins
French beans: 250 g
Gram flour: ½ cup
Garlic : 2-3 cloves
Salt: 2 tsp
mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Red chilly powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Soda bi carb : a pinch
Oil : 1 tbsp
- Chop the French beans finely. Heat the oil in pan and add mustard seeds, when seeds starts to crackle add French beans , salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Sauté for 2 mins and add 2 cups of water to it.
- When water starts to boil, slow the flame and let it simmer.
- Take in a bowl gram flour, crushed garlic, a pinch of salt, red chilly powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, adn soda bi carb.
- Don’t knead them much, but slowly slowly sprinkle the water and mix the ingredients very lightly. Now make the small dumplings out of this dough.
- Now full the flame and add the dumplings in boiling gravy.
- Aft 3-4 mins, slow down the flame and let the dumpling cook in the gravy.
- When its about to cook, take ½ cup of water in the same bowl where you’ve made the dumpling, wipe and mix all the remaining flour from the bowl sides and add this water to the gravy, this will make the gravy thicker.
- Let it simmer for 2 mins and the veg is ready.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Carbs : 16.37 g