Do you know that the popular Dosa or Dosa is originated in Karnataka and most of the south Indian states have different versions of their own taste. In south india Dosa is consumed in breakfast, but if we look at its nutritional profile its a complete meal in its own. Its made up with rice & dal, comprises of carbs and protein which is the best combination to have with, and traditionally its accompanied by Potato Filling, Coconut chutney – one of the healthiest fat and Sambhar – mixture of veggies in dal. This makes Dosa a perfect meal option anytime.
Soaking time: 10-12 hours
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: make 2 nos
Urad dal: ¼ cup
Par boiled rice: ¾ cups (ordinary rice would also work)
Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
Salt: as per taste
Oil: 2 tbsp to cook dosa
- Soak the dal and rice separately, for minimum 6-8 hours, once soaked grind them separately and then mix it in the bowl.
- Now cover this batter and keep it in warm place for another 4-6 hours to allow fermentation. The time of fermentation depends up on the season. In hot and humid weather it might get early fermentation too.
- add required water to adjust consistency of the batter.
- sprinkle salt and mix well.
- Now take a laden full of batter and pour it on a hot non-stick griddle and spread evenly to make it as thin as possible.
- Then pour a tsp of oil on the sides of the dosa. Allow the dosa to roast till the side gets little brown.
- Then fold the dosa and serve hot with Masala bhaji , coconut chutney and sambhar.
Nutritional value: (per dosa)
Energy: 68.4 cal
Carbs: 6.05 g
Protein: 1 g
Fat: 4.4 g