A balance diet is the one, which consist of balanced combination of Complex carbohydrates, lean protein, healthy fat and vegetables. One of the complete meal in itself and a yummy pure gujarati dish. Yes it contains dhoklis made up of whole wheat, plus the dholklis are swimming in pool of dal, a lean protein and traditionally potatoes, are added to it making it a wholesome complete meal in itself. Lets make the yummy dal dhoklis.
Toor Dal: 1 cup
Whole wheat flour: 1 ½ cups
Potatoes: 1 med size
Peanuts: 1/3 cup
Oil: 2 tbsp
Tomatoes: ½ cup finally chopped
Ginger-chilly paste: 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
Red chilly powder: 1 tsp
Dry red chilly: 1 no
Asafoetida: a pinch
Mustard seeds: ½ tbsp
Cumin seeds: ½ tbsp
White til: 1 tbsp (gingelly seeds)
Cinnamon stick: 1 small piece
Cloves: 2-3 nos
Tamarind paste: 1 tbsp
Jaggery: ½ cup shredded
Salt: as per taste
Saunf: 1 tbsp powdered
Fresh coriander leaves: 1 tbsp to garnish
- Boil the dal, potatoes and peanuts together.
- Keep potatoes and peanuts aside.
- Now whisk the dal adding 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, tomatoes, ginger chilly paste and bring one boil.
- Now slow the heat and let the dal simmer for ten mins. Add peanuts, potatoes, tamarind paste and jaggery . mix it well. Now the dal is ready.
- To make dhoklis first prepare the dough , take wheat flour add salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder , a tbsp of oil and slowly add water , knead well and prepare a soft dough out of it.
- Now divide the dough into 9-10 small portions and roll out around 7” diameter roti out of it from each portion.
- Lightly roast all the rotis for both the side on non-stick griddle.
- Cut the roties length wise first and then a bit diagonally so diamond shaped dhoklis will be prepared from it.
- Add all this pieces into simmering dal. Cover and cook the dhoklis for next 5-7 mins or till done.
- Once all the dhoklis get cooked, lets prepare tempering for it.
- Heat the oil in tempering vessel and add mustard seeds into it , once seeds starts to crackle add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, dry red chilly, saunf, asafoetida, til and finally red chilly powder.
- Pour the tempering over the dal dhokli and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Nutritional value: per portion
Energy: 234 cal
Carbs: 36 g
Protein: 10 g
Fat: 6 g