Munchurian is a delicious dish from Chinese cuisine, it does contains lots of veggies yet we cant consider it to be healthy cause it is deep fried. All the deep fried food not only add fat too the food, but also it generate free radicals in our body which promotes cancer. Lets see how to avoid deep frying and yet make the dish same tasty but most importantly healthy!!
Cooking time : 20 mins (steaming)/ 30-35 mins (baking)
Cabbage : 2 cups shredded
Carrots : 2 cups shredded
Onions: 1 cup shredded
Garlic: 5-6 cloves
Capsicum: 1 cup thinly sliced
Cooked rice: 1 cup (left over can work too)
corn flour: 2-3 tbsp
soda bi carb: a pinch
Soy sauce: 2 tbsp
Chilly sauce: 1 tbsp
Vinegar: 1 tsp
Salt: 2 tsp
oil : 1 tbsp
- Mash the rice finely.
- Take rice, 1 cup cabbage, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup onions, 2 -3 crushed garlic, 1 tsp of soy sauce, a tsp of chilly sauce, salt, soda bi carb, corn flour and mix it well. Add more corn flour if required to adjust consistency.
- Now divide the mixture into 10-12 balls.
- Now you can either bake these balls or steam it.
To Bake the balls:
- Pre heat the oven for 180 c.
- Arrange the balls in a baking tray and bake them for 30 mins. While baking cover the baking tray with aluminium foil.
To steam the balls:
- You can steam the balls in steamer for 10 -15 mins or till the toothpick comes out clean upon insertion.
For the gravy:
- Heat the oil in pan, add chopped garlic, add onions.
- When onions turns translucent, add carrots and capsicum, stir fry them.
- Now add salt, chilly sauce, soya sauce and mix well.
- Dissolve a tbsp of corn flour in a cup of water and add this to veggies.
- Mix well and add more 2 cup of water and let it simmer.
- Gravy will become thick in minute or two.
- Now add munchurian balls cover them in gravy and off the heat.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
Energy: 127 cal
Carbs: 21 g
Protein: 2.4 g
Fat: 3.5 g