Khichdi is one of the wholesome food, which is easy to digest, yet filling, good to taste, easy on pocket and easy to make too. You don’t need any mastery over kitchen to make good khichdi, just add some water & salt with goodness of grains and khichdi is ready. Today lets see one variety of the popular mung dal khichdi. Those who wants to avoid rice at night this is the good choice. This variety contains lots of fibre as we are using broken wheat and plus it contains easily digestible protein of yellow mung dal. Its a power food for babies too, you can give this khichdi over 6 months and above. Add some veggies of your choice and serve it with curd will make it a complete meal in itself.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Broken wheat: (daliya) ¾ cup
Yellow mung dal : 1 cup
Turmeric: ¼ tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
Curry leaves: 4-5
Green chillies: 1 tbsp finely chopped
Asafoetida: 1 pinch
Fresh coriander leaves: to garnish
- Soak the daliya and dal for 10 mins in warm water.
- Add the turmeric and salt and pressure cook the khichdi for 3-4 whistles.
- Let it simmer for two mins and off the gas.
- When pressure releases, and khichdi gets cool down a bit, we will temper it.
- For the tempering heat oil in vessel, add mustard seeds to it, when seeds starts to crackle add green chillies , curry leaves, a pinch of asafoetida and pour this tempering over the khichdi.
- Mix it well and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with curds.
Energy: 182 cal
Carbs: 29 g
Protein: 9 g
Fat: 3 g