This dish is a traditional kathiavadi gujarati recipe, very similar to ‘gatta nu shak’ from the rajasthani cuisine, this is curry based dish, so does not require much of oil, ghee or butter. The main ingredients are Bengal gram flour and curd. Its enriched with protein and calcium. traditionally it is cooked in deep vessel on gas stove but believe me it can be made in microwave too, Lets see how to make it.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Bengal gram flour: 2 cups
Curd: 1 cup
Garlic: 3-4 cloves
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Red chilly powder :1 tsp
Salt: as per taste
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves to garnish.
- Mix the curd with & glass of water add 2tbspoon gram flour and whisk it. The mixture will be very thin but that’s required because the gram floor sev will make it thick in consistency.
- Add turmeric powder to it and transfer it to microwave proof vessel. Microwave high for 2 mins.
- Next take the remaining gram flour in the bowl. Add salt, pounded garlic, red chilly powder, and mix well. Now gradually add water and make soft but firm dough.
- Now using machine make instant soft noodles into the boiling curry.
- Now put on microwave high for 6 minutes stirring in between to ensure even cooking. Allow standby time for 2 mins. Check for doneness for the sev.
- Once cooked, the next process is tempering. I would recommend that the tempering should be done on gas stove, where you can control the temperature of oil.
- For tempering heat oil in pan, add cumin seeds and when seeds start to crackle add freshly pounded garlic chutney (red chilly powder grounded with garlic) and pour this into the curry.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.